One of the XCYCLE Project purposes is to increase cyclists safety at potentially dangerous interaction of bicyclists with passenger cars and HGVs.
To achieve this and other relevant objectives, its project activities are organized into six distinct Work Packages (WPs), spanning 42 months.
- WP1 - Management and Coordination will ensure objectives are fully achieved. It includes all the tasks related to administrative, legal, and financial aspects for a high quality management of the project.
- WP2 - Problem specification and solutions is to obtain an overview of the state of the art of on-site and in-vehicle systems, of particularities and peculiarities of different countries and the requirements of new systems. Following problem specification, new safety measures will be designed and tested.
- WP3 - In-vehicle and on-bike systems will be developed at prototype level and implemented based on the findings of WP2.
- WP4 - Infrastructure based situation and threat assessment and avoidance concerns the design of traffic control and warning strategies that either avoid dangerous situations for cyclists or mitigate imminent threats.
- WP5 - Integration, implementation and verification will gather information coming from WP4 infrastructure situation assessment and WP3 in-vehicle and on-bike systems. Developed components and built up parts will be systematically integrated, implemented, and verified in a stepwise procedure.
- WP6 - Evaluation of the integrated system will consider the whole cycle safety concept on a higher level, mainly via on-site observation and the assessment of subjective measures. Specifically, active and passive devices investigated, developed, and integrated in WP3, 4, and 5 will be tested and evaluated. In addition, the cost benefit analysis and user willingness to pay will provide useful information about system adoption, impact, and overall effectiveness.
- WP7 - Dissemination and exploitation of project results will aim at disseminating the progress and final results of the project to the international scientific community, as well as to specifically selected group of interests, and to define opportunities to exploit the project outcomes.
The XCYCLE Project started on June 1st, 2015 and its activities will be completed by November 2018.